Children love to be read to, so offer your help as a class reader or provide support to individual children that are struggling to read.
Use these tips to make reading fun for you and the students:
- Try to read the book yourself before you go into the class.
- Take it slow. Don’t try to rush it. Enjoy it so that they may enjoy it too!
- Change your voice or tone while reading dialogues by the different characters in the story.
- Use props, if appropriate and available. This is a very good trick to keep those young kids attentive.
- After you read the story, ask open-ended questions so as to instill comprehension skills in the children.
Speak with the teacher about what topics are being currently covered in the classroom and select a book accordingly. This will help tie it into what the children are already learning. Most of the teachers will let you select the book, so enjoy this freedom and choose wisely.